Everybody knows that Avocados are tasty and healthy. They are native to South Central Mexico. Avocados are full with monounsaturated fats and many vitamins such as folic acid, vitamin K, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E and pantothenic acid.
Here are 10 fun food facts about avocados have even more information to share with your family and friends:
1. Did you know that avocados are actually large berries with one big seed inside? Another name for avocados is alligator pear.
2. Avocados are baby friendly food. They are a good snack to feed your babies young and old. Babies love the mushy texture and light buttery flavor.
3. Avocados mature on the tree, but only ripen once they are taken off the tree.
4. The origin of the word avocado comes from the Spanish word aguacate. This Spanish word comes from āhuacatl – a Nahuatl word. What’s interesting is that, āhuacatl in turn comes from proto-Aztecan *pa:wa. It also meant avocado.
5. Avocados ripen faster if stored with other fruits, such as bananas and apples.
RELATED: 5 Health Benefits of Mulberries
6. Also an interesting fact is that the size of the avocado, is actually the size of a baby in its mother’s womb at 16 weeks.
7. About 20 minerals and vitamins are present in avocadoes. For example, it contains lutein, which is a very powerful antioxidant.
8. One avocado contains 975 mg of potassium, which makes it extremely rich with this mineral.
9. Used in the right quantities, Avocados are a great butter substitute in baked goods.
10. Many years ago they were considered to be a luxury food that only the royal families had access to it.